Skip to main content

Making prefabs.


Now the prefab builder is finally finished I can begin making prefabs. It's kind of fun, I get to dream up puzzles, traps, little bits of narrative for the game to make it come alive. it'll be more fun once the level builder is working and I can begin navigating around my creations in game.

I added some final finishing touches to the way prefabs are handled while saving. Now a border of wall tiles is added to the floor tiles, but the rest of the unfilled area is dig able. That means the tunneler will be able to join prefabs together more closely without leaving a big border around each prefab. Also the prefab is cut down to an array that includes only the area containing walkable tiles. Any empty tiles are trimmed. So a 4x4 prefab will only take up a 4x4 array, not a 20x20 array. Also empty lower levels are cut out and replaced with a [None] array if the prefab is a single level one without stairs. I've included some data with the prefabs in the dictionary to show if it is a single level prefab and how big it is. This will make it quick to sort prefabs ready for adding to the level builder.

I just remembered that I forgot to do something... Have to go and fix that. :)

In the mean time, here's a short video (click the image to go to youtube) of some prefabs I already made:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaCtvlmU5Z0&feature=youtu.be
Click for a video.


Comments

  1. I forgot to rotate prefabs when saving them so that the long edge is always on the x axis. That will help a lot when creating levels as I can check vs longest edge and shortest edge, then rotate prefabs to fit in the BSP space. I don't need to create unique long x or long y prefabs, as I can use the rotation script to make any prefab fit where it is needed. I also forgot to set the first part of the unique dictionary key string for newly saved prefabs to the length of the existing dictionary (+1), that resulted in a few prefabs being overwritten.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Make your game models POP with fake rim lighting.

I was watching one of my son's cartoons today and I noticed they models were using serious amounts of simulated rim lighting. Even though it wasn't a dark scene where you'd usually see such an effect, the result was actually quite effective.



The white edge highlighting and ambient occluded creases give a kind of high contrast that is similar to, but different from traditional comic book ink work.


I'll be honest, I don't know if there's a specific term for this effect in 3d design, since my major at university was in traditional art. I learned it as part of photography.


You can find plenty of tutorials on "what is rim lighting" for photography. It basically means putting your main sources of light behind your subject so that they are lit around the edges. It can produce very arresting photographs, either with an obvious effect when used on a dark subject...


..,or as part of a fully lit scene to add some subtle highlights. See how alive the subject look…

How to... build a strong art concept.

So you want to make some art assets for your game. The first on the list is a Steampunk Revolver for your main character to shoot up Cthulhu with. Quickly opening your internet browser you start with a Google image search. Ah, there is is!

It might be a good idea to find a few influences so you don't accidentally end up copying a famous design.


Just mash them up and you're ready to go! Off to your favorite modeling program.
But wait! isn't there more to building a strong design concept than that?

Of course there is.
One of the diseases of modern design is that of recursion. Everything is a copy of a copy of a copy. This is especially a problem with "historical" concepts. Over the course of that recursive process the concept becomes infected with modern design elements, and ends up looking very similar to everything else that anyone else has ever made.
If you want to come up with a really fresh idea, you have to get beyond secondary references and go look at real …

Skynet

Ok, so it's not exactly skynet, but I have got my first AI state working, kind of.


The first state is "HOLD" in which case the agent stays in place where they are and shoots at any unit that comes in range. When I started writing this module, I found that the existing method of triggering actions wasn't good enough to allow the AI to choose the best weapon or target. It worked by simply sending a command to the unit to trigger the currently selected action.

If the action is valid, it triggered, if not it didn't.
That's fine for play controlled units, as that's all they need to do. But AI needs to know in advance if the action is valid. The player can get that info from UI feedback, but that wasn't available to the AI player.

There were three problems:

1. The UI feedback duplicated code in the action trigger function. These  two sets of code could get out of phase so that UI feedback was wrong.

2. The action trigger didn't give enough feedback for …