Skip to main content

Level Editor

You might ask why a game with random levels needs a level editor...

Well, roguelikes are not completely random.

Most roguelikes use predefined rooms in their level generation algorithm. Usually these are rectangles, but they might also be another shape, such as an oval or a rectangular donut or a cross.

I'm going to be doing the same, so that I don't have only rectangular or square rooms. But as well as simple primitives (square, rectangle, torus) I'm going to include quite a lot of themed rooms and even themed areas. These might include mazes or an array of dungeon cells or an underground fortress, or a subterranean village or whatever.

For that I need a quick and easy way of creating these prefabricated areas and saving them to disk ready to be called up by the game.

Introducing the prefab editor V0.4:


You can place rooms, corridors, stairs up and down, secret doors and encounter areas (the numbers on the map above).
The encounter areas are my favorite bit so far. They will be added to the level's dictionary of encounter areas and random monsters or treasure or furniture items will be placed there according to a theme when the level is created. There's a good chance that an encounter area won't spawn an encounter but if it does, the encounter parts should be constrained to the tiles specified in the level editor.

The level hook is a tile marked for connection to the other parts of the dungeon. There can be multiple level hooks, or just one. If the prefab contains stairs it will be stored in the "stairs" dictionary along with an entry detailing the length of it's longest edge, so it can be rotated or flipped and fitted in to the BSP generator I talked about earlier.

There will be a lot of prefabs built, so the chance of encountering any 2 identical areas is pretty low. In any case they may have a different tileset, different encounters, furniture or other features so they won't be instantly recognizable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vinland 1936

What have I been up to this month?

Well you can see it in a couple of development blog videos, here, here and here.

Vinland 1936 is a game I've been working on (on and off) for about 3 years. It is somewhat based on the old Nirval interactive game, Blitzkrieg;





I hope you've played it since it is one of the best games ever!!! (IMHO)
Blitzkrieg was a real time tactics game. You didn't build a base, or spawn units. It wasn't about rushing the enemy. You got a small number of troops and vehicles that could be replenished or repaired if you had access to a supply base and the right supply trucks, but couldn't be replaced if lost. Once your vehicles were destroyed and your infantry killed you were finished. You couldn't just churn out some more from your factory and have another go at rushing the enemy guns. This made you invest a lot in each of your units. They really mattered.

It was also procedurally generated. Each mission (except for the historical missions) was…

Telling a story; Creating a Compelling Narrative.

Telling a story; Creating a Compelling Narrative. In this blog I will talk about my own recent brush with story telling and go on to talk about how tools from creative wring can help you to better author the narrative in your games, whether they have a traditional linear narrative or a procedurally generated interactive narrative.

Narrative and structure in traditional fiction  last week I started writing a story set in the world I'm developing for my game Vinland: 1936.

I hope the story will help me to flesh out my game world and develop my own expanded universe which will be a good place to set my games in the future.

After about a week of work, on and off I've progressed the story to outline stage. For each character thread I have half a dozen chapters which plot a course through the events of the story. Each thread is told from the perspective of a different character.


Actually I started writing as soon as I had my outline, but I've since gone back and deleted what …

Back to Vinland.

I'm going back to my real time tactics project, Vinland 1936.
While working on the other project I overcame the problems which were stopping me from saving/loading the game and also cleaned up the base code a lot.

After a few weeks I'm getting near the the state I was in before.


Infantry are back to their previous state, and vehicles are running OK.
This time I'm going to push ahead with mocking up the combat system though before I work any more on the vehicle builder or graphical aspects of the game.