Skip to main content

Animation bottleneck and map rewrites.

I recently found a bottleneck that was causing some slowdown in the game. I've been using a single flexible rig for humanoids which incorporates 2 arms, 2 legs (with extra back cantered versions), a tail, two possible head locations, hair, antennas, a cape, weapons hooks including animated bow, a helmet hook so helmets can be removed during a cut scene or special animation if needed as well as wings.

This is a very flexible rig, but it has a problem. Multiple inverse kinematics solvers, multiple copy rotation and location constraints and lots of redundant bones when used for most types of agent. For example bird men have wings and back cantered legs and use the lower head bones, but they don't use hair or capes. One the other hand humans use hair and capes, but not wings or tails.

The humanoid armature.

With all those extra bones and constraints to calculate, animation time was double what it should be. Once you start adding a lot of enemies to the scene (more than 4) it results in a serious slowdown.

The solution is simple, duplicate the rig in to two rigs, then go through and prune the bones which are redundant in each case. The two rigs can continue to share the same animations, bones that don't exist a simply not calculated. The result is a noticeable improvement in frame rate under stress conditions.


The two armature types.

I will keep the armatures combined for now. There are several extra animations to do for the game yet which can be shared as long as the rigs are combined. Once I split the rigs it becomes much more difficult for them to share an animation, which can increase my workload. Near to release I'll go a head and split the rigs to get the speed improvement.

In other news I'm reworking my map generation to make use of BSP trees, but keeping the tunneling corridors. I'm also adding a extra style of map which will use 4x4 rooms rather than the current 10x10 rooms. When generating a level the game will decide whether to use type A or type B rooms and will go on from there. The result will be two very different styles of dungeon. I already included flexibility about tile size in the dungeon generation and placement code when i was first writing it, so implementation shouldn't be too painful.

 The new 4x4 tile room prefabs.

I'm considering keeping my old style "brute force" placement of rooms algorithm to be used as an occasional alternative to the BSP one. It does generate some interesting sparse tunnel like layouts, but I think I can get a similar result for tweaking the BPS generation to have more pruned branches. It would be better to have one flexible algorithm than two fixed ones.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make your game models POP with fake rim lighting.

I was watching one of my son's cartoons today and I noticed they models were using serious amounts of simulated rim lighting. Even though it wasn't a dark scene where you'd usually see such an effect, the result was actually quite effective.



The white edge highlighting and ambient occluded creases give a kind of high contrast that is similar to, but different from traditional comic book ink work.


I'll be honest, I don't know if there's a specific term for this effect in 3d design, since my major at university was in traditional art. I learned it as part of photography.


You can find plenty of tutorials on "what is rim lighting" for photography. It basically means putting your main sources of light behind your subject so that they are lit around the edges. It can produce very arresting photographs, either with an obvious effect when used on a dark subject...


..,or as part of a fully lit scene to add some subtle highlights. See how alive the subject look…

How to... build a strong art concept.

So you want to make some art assets for your game. The first on the list is a Steampunk Revolver for your main character to shoot up Cthulhu with. Quickly opening your internet browser you start with a Google image search. Ah, there is is!

It might be a good idea to find a few influences so you don't accidentally end up copying a famous design.


Just mash them up and you're ready to go! Off to your favorite modeling program.
But wait! isn't there more to building a strong design concept than that?

Of course there is.
One of the diseases of modern design is that of recursion. Everything is a copy of a copy of a copy. This is especially a problem with "historical" concepts. Over the course of that recursive process the concept becomes infected with modern design elements, and ends up looking very similar to everything else that anyone else has ever made.
If you want to come up with a really fresh idea, you have to get beyond secondary references and go look at real …

Skynet

Ok, so it's not exactly skynet, but I have got my first AI state working, kind of.


The first state is "HOLD" in which case the agent stays in place where they are and shoots at any unit that comes in range. When I started writing this module, I found that the existing method of triggering actions wasn't good enough to allow the AI to choose the best weapon or target. It worked by simply sending a command to the unit to trigger the currently selected action.

If the action is valid, it triggered, if not it didn't.
That's fine for play controlled units, as that's all they need to do. But AI needs to know in advance if the action is valid. The player can get that info from UI feedback, but that wasn't available to the AI player.

There were three problems:

1. The UI feedback duplicated code in the action trigger function. These  two sets of code could get out of phase so that UI feedback was wrong.

2. The action trigger didn't give enough feedback for …