Skip to main content

Optimizing "A Star" Pathfinding

Today I was working on the A* pathfinding script for the player.

I hit upon an idea for speeding up the calculations. I used a simple script I'd earlier written as a rectangle border select for selecting multiple units in another game and used it to draw a rectangle around  the player and the target. The graph that's generated for the A* pathfinder is limited to this rectangle (plus a 10 square border, about the size of a single room). This greatly reduces the size of the graph needed for path finding (from 200x200 squares to around 30x30) and reduces the resources needed to calculate the path.

this is good because Blender Game Engine uses Python, and even a well written A* implementation is not that fast in Python.

Still, I'm getting a logic tic rate of between 3-7ms which is very good. I'll have to wait to see how other blender users report their speeds, but so far I'm hopeful about having real time pathfinding displayed for the player during their movement phase.


It took ages to get it to work because of a typo.
I was looking for node.next_to but I'd typed node.nex_to in the graph generator.
Still I tested every other part of the script trying to get it to work. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vinland 1936

What have I been up to this month?

Well you can see it in a couple of development blog videos, here, here and here.

Vinland 1936 is a game I've been working on (on and off) for about 3 years. It is somewhat based on the old Nirval interactive game, Blitzkrieg;





I hope you've played it since it is one of the best games ever!!! (IMHO)
Blitzkrieg was a real time tactics game. You didn't build a base, or spawn units. It wasn't about rushing the enemy. You got a small number of troops and vehicles that could be replenished or repaired if you had access to a supply base and the right supply trucks, but couldn't be replaced if lost. Once your vehicles were destroyed and your infantry killed you were finished. You couldn't just churn out some more from your factory and have another go at rushing the enemy guns. This made you invest a lot in each of your units. They really mattered.

It was also procedurally generated. Each mission (except for the historical missions) was…

Telling a story; Creating a Compelling Narrative.

Telling a story; Creating a Compelling Narrative. In this blog I will talk about my own recent brush with story telling and go on to talk about how tools from creative wring can help you to better author the narrative in your games, whether they have a traditional linear narrative or a procedurally generated interactive narrative.

Narrative and structure in traditional fiction  last week I started writing a story set in the world I'm developing for my game Vinland: 1936.

I hope the story will help me to flesh out my game world and develop my own expanded universe which will be a good place to set my games in the future.

After about a week of work, on and off I've progressed the story to outline stage. For each character thread I have half a dozen chapters which plot a course through the events of the story. Each thread is told from the perspective of a different character.


Actually I started writing as soon as I had my outline, but I've since gone back and deleted what …

Back to Vinland.

I'm going back to my real time tactics project, Vinland 1936.
While working on the other project I overcame the problems which were stopping me from saving/loading the game and also cleaned up the base code a lot.

After a few weeks I'm getting near the the state I was in before.


Infantry are back to their previous state, and vehicles are running OK.
This time I'm going to push ahead with mocking up the combat system though before I work any more on the vehicle builder or graphical aspects of the game.