Skip to main content

Bresenham line for LOS.

I spent some time today optimizing and modularizing the script I've been using to prepare it for having more than one player character. I also moved the mini map to an overlay scene.
Finally I started doing some tests on LOS.

Originally I had thought of using raycasting LOS, as this is a 3d game, I may as well take advantage of the power of a modern PC right? But after some consideration I'll be using the Bresenham line drawing algorithm to check for line of sight in the game and I've also been thinking of how I can use it in path finding. It is rather a nice algorithm and the worst part about it I can see is that it sometimes draws rather ugly lines when they veer near to the vertical or horizontal.

Here's an example of the LOS in game:


It's just an illustration of course so in the final game there won't be any indicators, the slime will just not be visible to the player. the beauty of using this implementation is that I don't have to do any ray-casting. I just check the walk dictionary (which includes both walkable squares and flyable squares) for each enemy in range and if any point on the line is not in the dictionary the chosen object is not visible.

I've read a little about using the algorithm for pathfinding too, but I'm not sure I'll be able to get it to work with non diagonal movement (which is a corner stone of my game). Lets wait and see.

 EDIT: After some experiments I've decided that diagonal movement is perhaps OK after all. I'll be doing some fixes to make sure that players and enemies don't try to cut corners through the scenery, but most of that should be possible to handle by modifying the walk meshes anyway. The Line algorithm works really well with pathfinding creating fairly natural looking diagonal paths and cutting down on processing time a lot compared to A*. One thing I specifically want to avoid is players or enemies squeezing between a wall corner and another player/NPC or moving diagonally in to a square which can't be reached by regular NSEW movement.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vinland 1936

What have I been up to this month?

Well you can see it in a couple of development blog videos, here, here and here.

Vinland 1936 is a game I've been working on (on and off) for about 3 years. It is somewhat based on the old Nirval interactive game, Blitzkrieg;





I hope you've played it since it is one of the best games ever!!! (IMHO)
Blitzkrieg was a real time tactics game. You didn't build a base, or spawn units. It wasn't about rushing the enemy. You got a small number of troops and vehicles that could be replenished or repaired if you had access to a supply base and the right supply trucks, but couldn't be replaced if lost. Once your vehicles were destroyed and your infantry killed you were finished. You couldn't just churn out some more from your factory and have another go at rushing the enemy guns. This made you invest a lot in each of your units. They really mattered.

It was also procedurally generated. Each mission (except for the historical missions) was…

Telling a story; Creating a Compelling Narrative.

Telling a story; Creating a Compelling Narrative. In this blog I will talk about my own recent brush with story telling and go on to talk about how tools from creative wring can help you to better author the narrative in your games, whether they have a traditional linear narrative or a procedurally generated interactive narrative.

Narrative and structure in traditional fiction  last week I started writing a story set in the world I'm developing for my game Vinland: 1936.

I hope the story will help me to flesh out my game world and develop my own expanded universe which will be a good place to set my games in the future.

After about a week of work, on and off I've progressed the story to outline stage. For each character thread I have half a dozen chapters which plot a course through the events of the story. Each thread is told from the perspective of a different character.


Actually I started writing as soon as I had my outline, but I've since gone back and deleted what …

Back to Vinland.

I'm going back to my real time tactics project, Vinland 1936.
While working on the other project I overcame the problems which were stopping me from saving/loading the game and also cleaned up the base code a lot.

After a few weeks I'm getting near the the state I was in before.


Infantry are back to their previous state, and vehicles are running OK.
This time I'm going to push ahead with mocking up the combat system though before I work any more on the vehicle builder or graphical aspects of the game.