Skip to main content

Moving "@" around the map with the arrow keys.

Yes, that's the stage I'm at now.

However, I do have a functioning level generator going, as well as most of the art assets I'm going to need for the game, so I think I'm in a really good position to move forward.

I can't decide whether to make the movement arrows affected by light. It looks better I think when they fade out on dark levels, I don't want too many bright UI elements in the game, I'm going for that 90's dull and dark look.

There are different arrow icons depending on whether the movement would require walking or running by the player. If you run you can't do any other actions such as drinking a potion, but you can do combat.

I've also made some stand in icons for pick up, fight, read and other actions, until I can get someone to do some 2d design work for the game.

Here's a video of today's progress:



If you are interested in technical details, I can say that the mouse position is detected on the floor, and then a route is calculated to that square it if is walkable and the previous frame didn't also just do that same calculation. Arrows are placed along the route, and then when the route changes a script sweeps through and culls any objects which have the property shared by all navigation icons. 
If you have a valid route and you click the left mouse button the controller changes states and moves the player along the route deleting squares from the route as it goes (this would be the point that foot prints could be added as each square is traversed and deleted from the route). When the route is empty it changes states back to the route picker script.

When more player characters are added you'll be able do select them and do the same. As you move, your max movement points will be used up, then you have to skip to the next round to get them refilled.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vinland 1936

What have I been up to this month?

Well you can see it in a couple of development blog videos, here, here and here.

Vinland 1936 is a game I've been working on (on and off) for about 3 years. It is somewhat based on the old Nirval interactive game, Blitzkrieg;





I hope you've played it since it is one of the best games ever!!! (IMHO)
Blitzkrieg was a real time tactics game. You didn't build a base, or spawn units. It wasn't about rushing the enemy. You got a small number of troops and vehicles that could be replenished or repaired if you had access to a supply base and the right supply trucks, but couldn't be replaced if lost. Once your vehicles were destroyed and your infantry killed you were finished. You couldn't just churn out some more from your factory and have another go at rushing the enemy guns. This made you invest a lot in each of your units. They really mattered.

It was also procedurally generated. Each mission (except for the historical missions) was…

Telling a story; Creating a Compelling Narrative.

Telling a story; Creating a Compelling Narrative. In this blog I will talk about my own recent brush with story telling and go on to talk about how tools from creative wring can help you to better author the narrative in your games, whether they have a traditional linear narrative or a procedurally generated interactive narrative.

Narrative and structure in traditional fiction  last week I started writing a story set in the world I'm developing for my game Vinland: 1936.

I hope the story will help me to flesh out my game world and develop my own expanded universe which will be a good place to set my games in the future.

After about a week of work, on and off I've progressed the story to outline stage. For each character thread I have half a dozen chapters which plot a course through the events of the story. Each thread is told from the perspective of a different character.


Actually I started writing as soon as I had my outline, but I've since gone back and deleted what …

Back to Vinland.

I'm going back to my real time tactics project, Vinland 1936.
While working on the other project I overcame the problems which were stopping me from saving/loading the game and also cleaned up the base code a lot.

After a few weeks I'm getting near the the state I was in before.


Infantry are back to their previous state, and vehicles are running OK.
This time I'm going to push ahead with mocking up the combat system though before I work any more on the vehicle builder or graphical aspects of the game.