Skip to main content

Potions

A quick blog today to show off some of the potion models. In game they will have glow or sparkle effects, these are just the basic meshes with textures. I've made 30 unique potions for now. That should be enough to get started with. I've also set up a blend file with all I need to make more types later. The textures are just flat textures, I baked some matcap textures I designed on to a high poly version of the potion mesh.

Yummy, and not so yummy potions wait for the player to find... or make.

Because the game is going to be a pretty low magic setting, potions will be important. Don't expect to be carrying 30 potions of healing. Each potion you find will have a number of charges, or sips. The potion isn't used up until you've drained it dry.
 
For now potions are going to be assigned randomly each time you play. Don't expect a green vial to always be a healing potion, because it could change. Eventually I want to set up a fake "chemistry" for the world, where certain plants, or animal products can be combined to always get a predictable result. A character with alchemy skills will be able to research different materials to find out about their properties.
 
For example, red herbs can be mixed with green herbs to get brown herb powder, mix it with spider silk to make a potion of cure poison. I may in turn make this procedural so that it can be reset when you start a new game, so the whole "chemistry" of the world is stable for one game, but if you die and start again (not a very common thing in this game, but possible) you'll have to start your research over again.

If you like the look of the game (or if you don't) or if you have any suggestions, please post in the comments. I'd love to get some feedback about the game, even if it's just to say hurry up! :) If anyone would like to do an art asset swap, I'm also open to that if the assets are compatible.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vinland 1936

What have I been up to this month?

Well you can see it in a couple of development blog videos, here, here and here.

Vinland 1936 is a game I've been working on (on and off) for about 3 years. It is somewhat based on the old Nirval interactive game, Blitzkrieg;





I hope you've played it since it is one of the best games ever!!! (IMHO)
Blitzkrieg was a real time tactics game. You didn't build a base, or spawn units. It wasn't about rushing the enemy. You got a small number of troops and vehicles that could be replenished or repaired if you had access to a supply base and the right supply trucks, but couldn't be replaced if lost. Once your vehicles were destroyed and your infantry killed you were finished. You couldn't just churn out some more from your factory and have another go at rushing the enemy guns. This made you invest a lot in each of your units. They really mattered.

It was also procedurally generated. Each mission (except for the historical missions) was…

Telling a story; Creating a Compelling Narrative.

Telling a story; Creating a Compelling Narrative. In this blog I will talk about my own recent brush with story telling and go on to talk about how tools from creative wring can help you to better author the narrative in your games, whether they have a traditional linear narrative or a procedurally generated interactive narrative.

Narrative and structure in traditional fiction  last week I started writing a story set in the world I'm developing for my game Vinland: 1936.

I hope the story will help me to flesh out my game world and develop my own expanded universe which will be a good place to set my games in the future.

After about a week of work, on and off I've progressed the story to outline stage. For each character thread I have half a dozen chapters which plot a course through the events of the story. Each thread is told from the perspective of a different character.


Actually I started writing as soon as I had my outline, but I've since gone back and deleted what …

Back to Vinland.

I'm going back to my real time tactics project, Vinland 1936.
While working on the other project I overcame the problems which were stopping me from saving/loading the game and also cleaned up the base code a lot.

After a few weeks I'm getting near the the state I was in before.


Infantry are back to their previous state, and vehicles are running OK.
This time I'm going to push ahead with mocking up the combat system though before I work any more on the vehicle builder or graphical aspects of the game.