Skip to main content

Character Assets

 For the last month or so, I've been working on making the character Assets for my game.
From the start, I had a number of design specifications that I had to follow.

1. The game is supposed to be playable on low end computers, running directly on an embedded web player. This puts a limit on the texture sizes and number of polygons. Each character has a strict budget; around 2000 triangles, and a single 512x512 texture.

3. The characters should share a small number of armatures, so that as much can be reused as possible. 

4. Character design is modular. The heads occupy a 256x256 square in the top right of the texture. Hands have a 128x128 square just below.

5. Texture detail is focused on the face.  The body takes up the rest of the texture space.

6. Polygon detail is focused on the face and hands. Together they have nearly half the budget for polys (face:500, hands:250 each).

7. The models are painted in Blender, using the projection painting technique:

When I started using this method, about 6 years ago, it took around 3 hours to make a single character. I've cut development time a lot since then, and improved the results.

8. Some painting is done from samples. As an example, the faces are composites of a number of different sources.

They are then over-painted, using screen, multiply, burn and dodge. Plus the smear tool, and clone tool are used to correct glitches or uneven shading due to lighting conditions on the photograph.

9. Clothes are painted using material brushes, first the cloth texture:

Next a texture is used to add folds and creases: 

It would be preferable to use a high poly model and sculpt this kind of detail... but it would take too long. The idea is to quickly generate characters with minimal work.

10. A base color is used for cloth, so that its hue and saturation can be adjusted according to saved settings and create different uniform colors.

11. As much as possible, I've tried to reuse old assets from previous projects. Those assets have been reformatted to fit the current design specifications, but they are generally lower quality, and so will be reserved for background characters. In one case, a whole set of 13 background characters uses a single 1024x1024 texture sheet.

12. The alpha channel of the textures is reserved as a roughness/shine mask. This can be used to show metallic objects, or in the case of alien characters, shiny skin, eyes etc... However, for the most part, the characters are mostly intended to be fairly flat shaded. 

13. A small texture is used for environmental lighting, to add a rimlight to the characters, so they will better stand out from the background. You can find information on that in an earlier blog post.

The resulting characters are not the best in the world, but they are good enough, and I think they have a lot of personality. It has been a big help in planning out the game, and establishing the story.

When I was starting the project, I used an online avatar creator to make concepts of the characters, which would be used for the purpose of brainstorming and character building. It's interesting to see how some of those characters changed and evolved, once I started making the art assets for them...

It was a fun way to quickly visualize what I wanted the characters to look like, or to compare and so that I could create a mental image when thinking about their part in the story.

Anyway. Here are some of the results of this process:





I think this gives a nice selection of characters with which to populate my game.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Automating Level imports from Blender to Godot

  Recently I've been making some levels in Blender an importing them into Godot. There are only about 7 or 8 shaders for each level, not counting dynamic objects which will be added later. But to improve rendering performance, it can be a good idea to split the meshes up into sections. At that point you might be faced with a list like this: Or it might be even more chaotic, if you didn't use simple names for the objects in your level. So it can take a long time to sort out all the meshes, make them unique and add textures and so on. Blender imports with simple Blender textures, or with placeholder materials. This is sometimes OK, but if your Godot shaders are very different to those used by Blender, it means applying new materials to every mesh object in the level when you import the scene. I found that during the design process, I was importing and readying a level several times before I was happy with the final layout. So at first I was wasting a lot of time. In Blender, I us

Dynamic terrain in GODOT

Long time no posts. I haven't been keeping up with the projects I started. At first it seems fun and exciting, but I always run in to limitations in the setup, plus the grind of just making stuff without any real challenges... It ends up being something that I don't want to commit to. So right now I'm just messing around with some ideas and see what comes out. No commitment to a bigger project, just some time to try new things. This week I've been working on procedurally generated terrain.  In the past, there were some big limitations on how I approached this, because the game world had to have the whole map, from the micro to the macro. I had to choose a scale somewhere between, which meant I couldn't have really large maps, or really small details. I think I've found a way around that. Below you can see two types of map data coexisting on top of each other. The wireframe is the collision data, used for physics and for clicking on the map, to move characters ar

Make your game models POP with fake rim lighting.

I was watching one of my son's cartoons today and I noticed they models were using serious amounts of simulated rim lighting . Even though it wasn't a dark scene where you'd usually see such an effect, the result was actually quite effective. The white edge highlighting and ambient occluded creases give a kind of high contrast that is similar to, but different from traditional comic book ink work. I'll be honest, I don't know if there's a specific term for this effect in 3d design, since my major at university was in traditional art. I learned it as part of photography. You can find plenty of tutorials on "what is rim lighting" for photography. It basically means putting your main sources of light behind your subject so that they are lit around the edges. It can produce very arresting photographs, either with an obvious effect when used on a dark subject ... ..,or as part of a fully lit scene to add some subtle highlights. See ho