Skip to main content

Problems with map display...

I spent a total of about 4 hours trying to find out why my map wasn't displaying properly.
Turns out there was nothing wrong with my code, or my shader, the problem was in the imprecision of the floating point numbers used to scale the UVs and the default use of sRGB color space by blender.


(top left) This is similar to what I was getting, obviously not right, but I couldn't figure out why.  
(top right) Using data from the map each square is given a red color from 0-255.
(bottom left) There are 16 possible arrangements of tile and the red color offsets the UVs of that tile by a set amount.
(bottom right) The rather unimpressive final base result.

When scaling UVs Blender avoids imprecision in floating point number by just rounding up to a more suitable number, so 0.0625 becomes 0.063. This is fine usually, as you don't really care about pixel perfect placement in most applications. But when your total image is only 32 pixels across it can cause issues as 1 divided by 16 is NOT 0.063! Easy to solve, I had to add a second modifier after the offset to correct the rounding. But I didn't even know about this problem until I had solved the second one...

Blender uses sRGB color space by default. This is fine as nearly every application does these days. But the above method relies on linear color distribution, each color must map exactly to its true value or the offset will be wrong. This was solved by switching color management for the offending texture to simple RGB color space. Sadly the setting for this is hidden away in a collapsed tab in the texture settings, so I only thought about it after a lot of time wasted modifying code and testing other solutions.

So finally, the map display works. However... I'm not sure I like the result. :(
It's great that I solved the problem though as I can use this method in Vinland 1936 for texturing the terrain.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vinland 1936

What have I been up to this month?

Well you can see it in a couple of development blog videos, here, here and here.

Vinland 1936 is a game I've been working on (on and off) for about 3 years. It is somewhat based on the old Nirval interactive game, Blitzkrieg;





I hope you've played it since it is one of the best games ever!!! (IMHO)
Blitzkrieg was a real time tactics game. You didn't build a base, or spawn units. It wasn't about rushing the enemy. You got a small number of troops and vehicles that could be replenished or repaired if you had access to a supply base and the right supply trucks, but couldn't be replaced if lost. Once your vehicles were destroyed and your infantry killed you were finished. You couldn't just churn out some more from your factory and have another go at rushing the enemy guns. This made you invest a lot in each of your units. They really mattered.

It was also procedurally generated. Each mission (except for the historical missions) was…

Telling a story; Creating a Compelling Narrative.

Telling a story; Creating a Compelling Narrative. In this blog I will talk about my own recent brush with story telling and go on to talk about how tools from creative wring can help you to better author the narrative in your games, whether they have a traditional linear narrative or a procedurally generated interactive narrative.

Narrative and structure in traditional fiction  last week I started writing a story set in the world I'm developing for my game Vinland: 1936.

I hope the story will help me to flesh out my game world and develop my own expanded universe which will be a good place to set my games in the future.

After about a week of work, on and off I've progressed the story to outline stage. For each character thread I have half a dozen chapters which plot a course through the events of the story. Each thread is told from the perspective of a different character.


Actually I started writing as soon as I had my outline, but I've since gone back and deleted what …

Back to Vinland.

I'm going back to my real time tactics project, Vinland 1936.
While working on the other project I overcame the problems which were stopping me from saving/loading the game and also cleaned up the base code a lot.

After a few weeks I'm getting near the the state I was in before.


Infantry are back to their previous state, and vehicles are running OK.
This time I'm going to push ahead with mocking up the combat system though before I work any more on the vehicle builder or graphical aspects of the game.