Skip to main content

Dynamic Item Generation

This week I've been fleshing out the dictionaries for my dynamic item generation system.
I made a few changes since it was first designed, like simplifying the materials and making them less exotic. Now there are a lot of normal materials (like COPPER and GLASS) and some exotic or magical materials.

Items are generated with a number of attributes. Which ones they get depends on the type of object, its quality and its material. Here are a few examples:

I think it's going quite well so far, though I'm having to generate a lot of items and check their attributes so I can fine tune the dictionary rules.



You can see the "CLUB$1" up there, which is a rare, ivory, toy club.
I think children's club would be a better attribute than toy. That sounds strange in some cases.



There's a ugly, copper long-sword, which is both blunted and corroded. Items can have several damage attributes, depending on their quality. As they get used in game and pick up more wear and tear, they can also pick up more damage attributes.

There's still work to be done to avoid strange combinations, though i may just go with it.



The enchanted, ancient cooked eggs made me laugh. Since they are not a weapon and can't be equipped as jewellery their item modifiers (skill and aim bonus) don't have any effect, but you can imagine they would have some in universe use (they would have a higher cost because of their attributes, so you can sell them for a good profit).

In the game I'm going to keep item images to a minimum. I'm relying on the text elements to tell the story of these items, combined with your imagination. Just look at those items up there, whatever you can imagine about them will be much more interesting than any half baked procedural graphics a I can cook up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vinland 1936

What have I been up to this month?

Well you can see it in a couple of development blog videos, here, here and here.

Vinland 1936 is a game I've been working on (on and off) for about 3 years. It is somewhat based on the old Nirval interactive game, Blitzkrieg;





I hope you've played it since it is one of the best games ever!!! (IMHO)
Blitzkrieg was a real time tactics game. You didn't build a base, or spawn units. It wasn't about rushing the enemy. You got a small number of troops and vehicles that could be replenished or repaired if you had access to a supply base and the right supply trucks, but couldn't be replaced if lost. Once your vehicles were destroyed and your infantry killed you were finished. You couldn't just churn out some more from your factory and have another go at rushing the enemy guns. This made you invest a lot in each of your units. They really mattered.

It was also procedurally generated. Each mission (except for the historical missions) was…

Telling a story; Creating a Compelling Narrative.

Telling a story; Creating a Compelling Narrative. In this blog I will talk about my own recent brush with story telling and go on to talk about how tools from creative wring can help you to better author the narrative in your games, whether they have a traditional linear narrative or a procedurally generated interactive narrative.

Narrative and structure in traditional fiction  last week I started writing a story set in the world I'm developing for my game Vinland: 1936.

I hope the story will help me to flesh out my game world and develop my own expanded universe which will be a good place to set my games in the future.

After about a week of work, on and off I've progressed the story to outline stage. For each character thread I have half a dozen chapters which plot a course through the events of the story. Each thread is told from the perspective of a different character.


Actually I started writing as soon as I had my outline, but I've since gone back and deleted what …

Back to Vinland.

I'm going back to my real time tactics project, Vinland 1936.
While working on the other project I overcame the problems which were stopping me from saving/loading the game and also cleaned up the base code a lot.

After a few weeks I'm getting near the the state I was in before.


Infantry are back to their previous state, and vehicles are running OK.
This time I'm going to push ahead with mocking up the combat system though before I work any more on the vehicle builder or graphical aspects of the game.