Skip to main content

32 vs 64

I started to worry yesterday that the size of the textures involved with adding a lot of infantry types would start to put a drain on lower end graphics cards, so I had a think about how to deal with that.

One thing I did right away was to rationalize the number of animations. A lot of the ones I chose were not really that essential, so by being a bit ruthless I was able to cut it down to 8. By halving the number of animations I was then able to fit two infantry man animations on a single sheet.

I further tested using 32x32 pixel sprites instead of the current 64x64 pixel sprites:


It's difficult to see the difference at the normal level of zoom. You have to zoom in quite a lot of notice:


Now you can see the big difference. I think the 64 tiles are much nicer than the 32 tiles. I don't think it would be worth cutting them down that much in quality.

But since I will be loading the sprites from an external file, I'll think about including a set of low rez sprites for those who have an older computer.

I took a lot at some old infantry models I made for an earlier version of the game and decided not to use them. The newer ones, even though they are hastily made, look much better than the older ones. I'll be making all new models for the infantry.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make your game models POP with fake rim lighting.

I was watching one of my son's cartoons today and I noticed they models were using serious amounts of simulated rim lighting. Even though it wasn't a dark scene where you'd usually see such an effect, the result was actually quite effective.



The white edge highlighting and ambient occluded creases give a kind of high contrast that is similar to, but different from traditional comic book ink work.


I'll be honest, I don't know if there's a specific term for this effect in 3d design, since my major at university was in traditional art. I learned it as part of photography.


You can find plenty of tutorials on "what is rim lighting" for photography. It basically means putting your main sources of light behind your subject so that they are lit around the edges. It can produce very arresting photographs, either with an obvious effect when used on a dark subject...


..,or as part of a fully lit scene to add some subtle highlights. See how alive the subject look…

How to... build a strong art concept.

So you want to make some art assets for your game. The first on the list is a Steampunk Revolver for your main character to shoot up Cthulhu with. Quickly opening your internet browser you start with a Google image search. Ah, there is is!

It might be a good idea to find a few influences so you don't accidentally end up copying a famous design.


Just mash them up and you're ready to go! Off to your favorite modeling program.
But wait! isn't there more to building a strong design concept than that?

Of course there is.
One of the diseases of modern design is that of recursion. Everything is a copy of a copy of a copy. This is especially a problem with "historical" concepts. Over the course of that recursive process the concept becomes infected with modern design elements, and ends up looking very similar to everything else that anyone else has ever made.
If you want to come up with a really fresh idea, you have to get beyond secondary references and go look at real …

Skynet

Ok, so it's not exactly skynet, but I have got my first AI state working, kind of.


The first state is "HOLD" in which case the agent stays in place where they are and shoots at any unit that comes in range. When I started writing this module, I found that the existing method of triggering actions wasn't good enough to allow the AI to choose the best weapon or target. It worked by simply sending a command to the unit to trigger the currently selected action.

If the action is valid, it triggered, if not it didn't.
That's fine for play controlled units, as that's all they need to do. But AI needs to know in advance if the action is valid. The player can get that info from UI feedback, but that wasn't available to the AI player.

There were three problems:

1. The UI feedback duplicated code in the action trigger function. These  two sets of code could get out of phase so that UI feedback was wrong.

2. The action trigger didn't give enough feedback for …