Skip to main content

Monster design: Creating a family.

Some new monster designs today, I'm really happy with the texture painting workflow I've ended up with. I'd really like to be able to make more high poly creatures, but the more detail in an animated character in game, the more processing power it requires. Static objects run OK even when quite high poly, but for creatures and other animated objects, they present a bit of a bottleneck.

I've already got a whole bunch of monsters, and I've tried to reuse armatures as much as possible, because not only does it reduce time spent on re-rigging the meshes, but also requires less time to animate.

However, the monsters that I do have are quite diverse, maybe a bit too much so. The different levels of the dungeon are going to look like a zoo at this rate. So I've been thinking about how to create themes for different levels of the dungeon. In effect, take one monster and build a family of monsters around it.

I already have two kinds of plant men, diseased and healthy, I wondered how plant men procreate, and decided that the female plant man has a toxin which can transform humans and other creatures in to plant men.

So here is the female plant creature, part human, part plant, all monster.

In the same way I want to diversify the fish men I already have, so I decided on having an adult fish man, and a larval form.


These guys are pretty slow, but quite strong. They are the juvenile version of the adult fish man:
Or maybe a different species, I haven't decided yet. Once they are in game I'll decide what to do with them. I may just leave it up to the player's imagination to decide what they are.

Now that I've got a half fish half human monster armature, I'll probably make a mermaid as an NPC. :) There are going to be some NPCs in the game who can trade you stuff or give you a special quest or even join your team. The mermaid would probably ask you to find her lost shell or something like that. Though perhaps a swearing, foul mouthed mermaid who sends you after a barrel of extra strength booze might be more fun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vinland 1936

What have I been up to this month?

Well you can see it in a couple of development blog videos, here, here and here.

Vinland 1936 is a game I've been working on (on and off) for about 3 years. It is somewhat based on the old Nirval interactive game, Blitzkrieg;





I hope you've played it since it is one of the best games ever!!! (IMHO)
Blitzkrieg was a real time tactics game. You didn't build a base, or spawn units. It wasn't about rushing the enemy. You got a small number of troops and vehicles that could be replenished or repaired if you had access to a supply base and the right supply trucks, but couldn't be replaced if lost. Once your vehicles were destroyed and your infantry killed you were finished. You couldn't just churn out some more from your factory and have another go at rushing the enemy guns. This made you invest a lot in each of your units. They really mattered.

It was also procedurally generated. Each mission (except for the historical missions) was…

Telling a story; Creating a Compelling Narrative.

Telling a story; Creating a Compelling Narrative. In this blog I will talk about my own recent brush with story telling and go on to talk about how tools from creative wring can help you to better author the narrative in your games, whether they have a traditional linear narrative or a procedurally generated interactive narrative.

Narrative and structure in traditional fiction  last week I started writing a story set in the world I'm developing for my game Vinland: 1936.

I hope the story will help me to flesh out my game world and develop my own expanded universe which will be a good place to set my games in the future.

After about a week of work, on and off I've progressed the story to outline stage. For each character thread I have half a dozen chapters which plot a course through the events of the story. Each thread is told from the perspective of a different character.


Actually I started writing as soon as I had my outline, but I've since gone back and deleted what …

Back to Vinland.

I'm going back to my real time tactics project, Vinland 1936.
While working on the other project I overcame the problems which were stopping me from saving/loading the game and also cleaned up the base code a lot.

After a few weeks I'm getting near the the state I was in before.


Infantry are back to their previous state, and vehicles are running OK.
This time I'm going to push ahead with mocking up the combat system though before I work any more on the vehicle builder or graphical aspects of the game.