Skip to main content


I took some time away from the project for the last few months. I've been investigating some different things that I wanted to get in to the game, but they needed a lot of experimentation to find the best configuration.

I also toyed with the idea of spinning off a new, less complex project but didn't quite go through with it. I've got a couple of things which are ready for further development if I ever decide to focus on them though.

The first thing I did was to investigate non grid based movement. I know it's a step away from hard core roguelikes, but as well as being faster than grid based movement, it's easier to manage. The experiment was for a RTS game, but most of what I made can easily be reused in the RPG.

 I also spent some time working on particle effects and time control.

I briefly entertained the idea of making the game a real time RPG with the ability to slow down time or stop it altogether to aid with strategy. In the end I'll only be using the ability to pause the game while still moving the camera, something that wasn't possible before. I designed some nice particle effects to use for magic in the game too, including lightning bolt and ray of light type effects. I'll continue to use the above demo to develop more particle effects, it's nice to be able to walk around and see them in action.

Sometimes I wish I could make the game real time, it would make it so much easier to code, but it's not the game I want to make.

Anyway, I'm going to continue using the level generation code I was developing before the break, changes to navigation mean that I'll also be able to include some more detailed set pieces too, which will be non grid based. I'm going to be going back to the drawing board for a while though, working on basic player and enemy movement, doors and inventory management, combat and spellcasting. I want to get in to the meat of the project and not spend too much more time planning.


Popular posts from this blog

Make your game models POP with fake rim lighting.

I was watching one of my son's cartoons today and I noticed they models were using serious amounts of simulated rim lighting. Even though it wasn't a dark scene where you'd usually see such an effect, the result was actually quite effective.

The white edge highlighting and ambient occluded creases give a kind of high contrast that is similar to, but different from traditional comic book ink work.

I'll be honest, I don't know if there's a specific term for this effect in 3d design, since my major at university was in traditional art. I learned it as part of photography.

You can find plenty of tutorials on "what is rim lighting" for photography. It basically means putting your main sources of light behind your subject so that they are lit around the edges. It can produce very arresting photographs, either with an obvious effect when used on a dark subject...

..,or as part of a fully lit scene to add some subtle highlights. See how alive the subject look…

How to... build a strong art concept.

So you want to make some art assets for your game. The first on the list is a Steampunk Revolver for your main character to shoot up Cthulhu with. Quickly opening your internet browser you start with a Google image search. Ah, there is is!

It might be a good idea to find a few influences so you don't accidentally end up copying a famous design.

Just mash them up and you're ready to go! Off to your favorite modeling program.
But wait! isn't there more to building a strong design concept than that?

Of course there is.
One of the diseases of modern design is that of recursion. Everything is a copy of a copy of a copy. This is especially a problem with "historical" concepts. Over the course of that recursive process the concept becomes infected with modern design elements, and ends up looking very similar to everything else that anyone else has ever made.
If you want to come up with a really fresh idea, you have to get beyond secondary references and go look at real …


Ok, so it's not exactly skynet, but I have got my first AI state working, kind of.

The first state is "HOLD" in which case the agent stays in place where they are and shoots at any unit that comes in range. When I started writing this module, I found that the existing method of triggering actions wasn't good enough to allow the AI to choose the best weapon or target. It worked by simply sending a command to the unit to trigger the currently selected action.

If the action is valid, it triggered, if not it didn't.
That's fine for play controlled units, as that's all they need to do. But AI needs to know in advance if the action is valid. The player can get that info from UI feedback, but that wasn't available to the AI player.

There were three problems:

1. The UI feedback duplicated code in the action trigger function. These  two sets of code could get out of phase so that UI feedback was wrong.

2. The action trigger didn't give enough feedback for …